LiveEdit allows you to effortlessly record and import your rehearsals directly onto your timeline. As soon as the rehearsal ends, a new media track is created within your scene, making it quick and easy to review your latest performance.
The process for recording rehearsals is consistent, whether you're connected to Producer hardware or utilizing an external recording device.
Standalone Mode: Connecting LiveEdit to a HyperDeck Recorder
LiveEdit 11 offers the capability to connect to a Blackmagic Design HyperDeck recorder via a network interface for recording purposes. To set up this connection, follow these steps:
- Click the Settings icon in the sidebar to open the settings panel.
- Navigate to the HyperDeck settings and enter the IP address of your HyperDeck recorder accurately.
- Hit the Enter key to validate the IP address.
- LiveEdit will attempt to establish a connection with the HyperDeck recorder. A successful link is signified by a green LED, along with the display of the device's model information.
- Once the connection is established, a red recording button will appear in the toolbar, allowing you to initiate recording.
- If the LED shows amber or red, it means LiveEdit couldn't find a compatible device on the network. Double-check the entered IP address and ensure your HyperDeck recorder's network connectivity is stable.
Before you begin, make sure to check the following:
- Power Status: Ensure that your HyperDeck recorder is powered on and fully operational.
- Storage Space: Confirm that your HyperDeck recorder has enough storage—either built-in or through accessible memory cards—to handle the recording duration. This will help avoid any interruptions due to storage limitations.
- Network Compatibility: Make sure both your HyperDeck recorder and the computer running LiveEdit 11 are connected to the same network. This is crucial for seamless communication between the two devices.
Recording in LiveEdit: Manual and Automatic Modes
LiveEdit provides two convenient ways to record your rehearsals: manual recording using the red button and automatic recording with a Start record marker in Live mode. In this tutorial, we'll explore both methods and highlight the advantages of automatic recording.
- Navigate to the scene where you want to begin recording.
- Regardless of whether you are in Edit or Live mode, you can manually initiate recording at any time. To do this, find the red recording button in the LiveEdit toolbar.
- Click the red recording button to start recording instantly. LiveEdit will promptly commence capturing video and audio.
- To stop recording, simply click the red button again or jump to start. Your recording will be saved and made available for review.
Automatic Recording with Start Record Marker in LiveEdit
LiveEdit provides a powerful feature that enables you to effortlessly initiate and manage recordings when your scene starts in Live mode. By using Start Record and optionally Stop Record markers, you can ensure a seamless recording process.
Follow these steps to utilize this feature effectively:
- Navigate to Your Scene
Within your LiveEdit project, navigate to the specific scene and point in your timeline where you intend to start recording.
- Add a Start Record Marker
In the LiveEdit toolbar, locate and click the "New Marker" button.
Double-click the newly created marker to edit it, and from the Action markers list, select "Start Record." This marker will signify the beginning of your recording.
- (Optional): Add a Stop Record Marker
If you wish to specify when the recording should automatically stop, navigate to the point in your timeline where you want the recording to end.
Just like before, add a marker and label it "Stop Record." This step is optional; you can skip it if you prefer to stop recording manually.
- Switch to Live Mode
Transition to Live mode within LiveEdit to prepare for playback and automatic recording.
- Playback and Automatic Recording
Begin playback of your scene in Live mode. LiveEdit will engage timecode tracking automatically.
As the playhead reaches the Start Record marker, LiveEdit will seamlessly initiate recording. Your video and audio will be captured starting from this precise point.
Once your rehearsal concludes, stop the playback within Live mode. Your recording will be automatically added to your scene, ready for your review.
By following these comprehensive steps, you can fully harness LiveEdit's Start Record and Stop Record markers to automate the recording process in Live mode. This feature guarantees precise timecode tracking and a hassle-free recording experience, making it an excellent choice for rehearsals and live performances.